Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Garden

I have always wanted to grow pumpkins. I think my love affair with pumpkins started with a book my mom used to read us about two mice growing a giant pumpkin for the fair. This year I decided to give it a try. I picked up a Veggie Tales seed packet at Home Depot. I started the three seeds in my kitchen window and then transplanted the two that grew to the top of our dirt pile. They didn't seem to be doing very well, so Forrest gave me permission to buy a pumpkin plant from Home Depot. By early July the Home Depot plant had hardly grown, but the Veggie Tales pumpkin had one single 5 foot vine running down the hill. By early August - this is what we had...
My Veggie Tales pumpkin has completely taken over my garden. The vine that used to be 5 feet by the end of the summer was over twenty feet and we had wrapped it around the dirt pile so it wouldn't interfere with our other plants. Ephraim and I would go out every day and water the plants.
We grew sugar snap peas, corn, beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onion and carrots.
One of our pumpkins. We ended up with 5. The heat in late July/August killed a bunch of the little pumpkins that were trying to grow.

1 comment :

jhjumper said...

I love the pictures! And I love the pumpkin story - that was one of my favorites too. Happy Birthday again!