Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Being A Mom of Two

So far I have really enjoyed being a mom to two little munchkins. It seems so "right" and I have a hard time remembering what it felt like to just be a mom to one. With the addition of little Selah have been many ups and downs and lots of lessons learned.
I have learned I have to discipline the oldest right away. Selah won't remember me stopping feeding her to give her brother a time out, but Ephraim will remember getting away with things.
I can do a lot one handed and while nursing a baby including pouring sippy cups, vacuuming and doing laundry. Ephraim's love of books is great while I am nursing. He is currently into pop up books which is a lot of fun.
Naptime and Bedtime are my two most difficult times of the day. I often start trying to put Ephraim down around 12:30 and I give up on naps if he isn't asleep by 2:30. It is a constant juggling game. I get Selah down only to have her wake up shortly after (she doesn't like to sleep by herself during the day.) Ephraim will start to wind down and then Selah starts crying and he gets wound up again. Forrest and I decided to have 2:30 be the time I give up because otherwise it completely drains me. Thankfully most days Ephraim naps. Bedtime is the same cycle. Forrest has been working a lot lately - which means I do most of bedtime. I feel successful if we get Ephraim to sleep before 9.
I remember when Ephraim was born feeling overwhelmed and didn't know I how I would ever complete a project again. That feeling has returned. I can empty the dishwasher, but can't do the dishes in the sink. I can do the kids laundry, but not mine and Forrest's. I can do a load of laundry, but not put it away. I know that I will eventually get back into a routine, so that gives me hope.
It has been enjoyable to watch Ephraim love his sister. He can be aggressive and jealous, but most of the time is loving.

2 comments :

Andrea said...

I do Asher's laundry with ours. I use a really gentle detergent (crunchyclean.com) and vinegar for fabric softener. I plan on continuing this with Gogo Baby's clothes too. That way I don't have extra loads.

Barb said...

You are doing great! I was wondering if starting Ephraim's nap at about 1:00 or 1:30 would help....
Beautiful pictures by the way. I love my grandchildren and their parents!