Thursday, February 11, 2010

Baby Update

Gestational age: 34 weeks, 5 days
Weight gain: 1 pound
BP: 118/70

Baby girl sounds great. I am measuring perfectly and my weight gain is in a good range. With Ephraim I gained most of my weight between 20-30 weeks and then it slowed way down. It looks like that is what I am doing this time too as long as I lay off the chocolate chips.

Baby girl is still breech. At my next appointment in two weeks we are having an ultrasound done to check on her positioning and size. If she is still breech (and I just have a feeling that she will be) and everything looks good then my doctor will schedule an external version where he tries to rotate her manually. From the research I have done it seems like I am a good candidate as long as my placenta is in a good spot and there is adequate amniotic fluid. Versions are more successful in women who have already had a child. They are also done in the hospital with constant monitoring of baby and if needed a c-section can be done. If I am not a good candidate for whatever reason, or if the version is unsuccessful then we will schedule a c-section. A lot can happen in two weeks, so I am not going to worry about it.

Other than baby girl being stubborn I only have minor pregnancy complaints. I still have headaches every day, but for the most part they are manageable. They tend to be better on the days I get to take a nap, but that doesn't happen very often. I have set a goal for myself for my entire house to be ready for baby by the end of February, which means I don't get a nap very often. Heartburn has returned in the last week with a vengeance. It usually just comes in the afternoon/evening and then sticks around all night. I have thrown up due to heartburn which is something new for me. All I can do is drink water to try to calm it (which then makes me get up several times a night to use the bathroom) - so if anyone has any other suggestions on how to calm heartburn or what foods to avoid please let me know (please don't suggest Tums - they make me gag). Ephraim is still not sleeping well and we are trying to get him to fall asleep or go back to sleep with someone besides me with no success. At bedtime he is completely attached to me and freaks out even when I am in the bedroom with him and Forrest. Right now Ephraim's sleep is the only thing that worries me about having baby girl. Time is ticking for us to figure something out - only 5 weeks left!

No comments :