Friday, July 18, 2008

An Adventure In Cloth

Over the past few weeks Forrest and I have been talking about how to decrease our spending. Now that I am a stay at home mom and we have one income this has become very important (especially with the cost of gas and food going up). One of the ways we have decided to try is by using cloth diapers. At first, the idea of using cloth completely scared me. It sounds so ominous and granola. We have a lot of friends in Jackson who are using cloth, including my sister Colleen. After talking with them and having them assure me that it is easy, we are taking the plunge. I am starting very slowly though - I don't want to spend a lot of money on cloth diapers to have me find out that it is too difficult. Colleen suggested buying a sample of different diapers to figure out which kind I like. I went to nickisdiapers.com and bought the One Size Pocket Package. Pocket diapers go on like disposables and you stuff inserts inside of them. They seem the simplest and require no folding. The great part about the one size is that they will fit babies from 7-35 pounds, so they will grow with Ephraim and I won't have to invest in multiple sizes. I am very excited to try this out, and can not seem to get away from reading about cloth diapering online. They should come in a few days, and I will keep you posted on how it is going.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

I have a friend that uses Fuzzi Bunz and I think she likes them. Good for you going green!

Living the Life.... said...

That's great!! I'm very interested in how you like them.

Aj Schwanz said...

You *are* an adventurous mama! Ditto to the friends who use FuzziBunz and love them. Also, Very Baby diapers from Tallulah Baby are great - the creator is a really cool lady who lives in Idaho.

Bethany said...

Amy - I hope you love cloth diapering. Seth, Ellie and I have used cloth since she was a newborn (now almost 3 months!). We are really happy with them. The only thing that I've found tough is traveling with them, but even that is doable. We're using basic prefolds with covers, so a bit different than you, and a bit scary at first, but really workable very quickly. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me... We find that cloth diapering has totally saved us money and we were looking at them for the same reason as you guys.

Again, good luck!