Monday, May 06, 2013

36 weeks

Stats on 5/6/13

Gestational age: 35 weeks, 6 days
Weight: + 2 pounds.
Total weight gain: 23 pounds
BP: 118/80
Fetal movement: Squirt likes to spin and move and kick her feet out right below my ribs
Baby's heartrate: 128
Dilation: 1.5 cm

Today I had an ultrasound to check on baby's growth and fluid levels.  One of the concerns of people with blood clotting disorders and on Lovenox is that the placenta can start throwing little clots and there can be low fluid levels.  My fluid is on the normal to slightly high side so that is fantastic.  Squirt is currently head down (yay!) and in an excellent position for labor.  Her butt is on my right side with her feet kicking out towards the left.  They are estimating that she is currently 6 pound 6 ounces - but that can be off by up to a pound either direction.  Most likely she will be my biggest baby (Eph was 6 pounds 12 ounces and Selah was 7 pounds 11 ounces) at around 8 pounds.  The ultrasound tech was unable to get me any pictures of Squirt's face - she is pretty tucked into her position around my right hip and wasn't being cooperative.

I was a little surprised to be 1.5 cm dilated already - I haven't had any regular braxton hicks for over a week.  I know that it means absolutely nothing for when I will go into labor - but it is nice to be progressing without being in any pain.  If I can get to 4 or 5 cm without actually being in labor (just like with Selah) that would be fantastic.  I asked if 3rd babies come faster or slower than their siblings and was told by my doctor that it is a crap shoot and it can go either way.  Selah's labor was 4 hours start to finish and I would love for Squirt's to be the same.  I will be switching to heparin on Thursday.  My doctor gave me a two week prescription so that if I do go into labor before then that I won't have a stockpile of unneeded heparin.

My doctor also told me I didn't need to write up a birth plan.  My desires for this labor are - no pitocin, no epidural and minimal amount of monitoring.  Of course - if baby or mommy shows any sign of distress then everything gets thrown out the window and we do what we need to do.  Pretty simple birth plan, and I trust myself and Forrest to make informed decisions and share what we want with the hospital staff.

Next appointment is in a week!

No comments :